Others:   how about also some comments about software vs  hardware compression?
I was under the impression that software compression allows amanda better
control, since she then knows how much will actually fit on the tape, though it
is slower, since she has to DO the compression.
Where’s the balance  (speed vs space gain)?   Clearly, David has a lot of data
here, so space may be the driving factor for him.

Very good progress David!
Deb Baddorf