I was just skimming through this week's list messages, and I'm seeing queries
regarding things recently broken, and all of them seem to include ssh, ssl, or
other encryptions.

In mid-December, the Debian/Ubuntu distros pushed out a new openssl library
package that seems to have simply deleted the deprecated sha1 ciphers.  I've
just discovered that this breaks MYSQL master/slave encrypted replications,
Apache LDAPs authentication to Active Directory, and others.  Most of these
systems simply failed silently and it wasn't obvious why.

So, the fellow using encrypted tar to backup his FreeNas might want to
investigate openssl library versions and the packages that use them; the guy
having issues with amrestore over ssh may want to look into the chiphers as
well.

It seems mysql hard-codes the sha1 cipher by default, but you can override it
in the my.cnf files.  Our ldap connection wasn't so flexible, and the CentOS5,
while still officially supported, didn't seem amenable to selecting a specific
cipher, so I ended up moving LDAP back to clear (ACK PFFT) until I have time to
replace that server.

I spent two days working on ldap and mysql replication issues discovered just
this week, and it took a while to figure out the source of the issues here, so
you might want to investigate the ssl layers in your applications.  I didn't
dig into the issues deep enough to be able to say exactly what happened, I just
needed to get my systems fixed!

Joi Owen
System Administrator
Pavlov Media, Inc.