On Friday 25 March 2016 07:28:36 Marcin Stolarek wrote:

> I’m using amanda with virtual tapes (storing backups on local disks of
> my server). Is it possible to move old backups to different storage,
> instead of removing them?
>

> Does amanda have a solution for backup of backups, to store them in
> case of backup server failure? I know that vtapes are created with
> standard Linux utilities and  I can recover files from them even
> without amanda, so I can just copy tape files(probably with some
> snapshot), but it sounds like poor man solution.
>
> cheers,
> marcin

This is one of the things that COULD be done easier with the help of my
scripts called GenesAmandaHelper, although I am not doing it.  But it
would be relatively easy to schedule a backup, using amanda or some
such, of the complete backup sessions done in the number of backups you
have scheduled, so if, like me, you use 30 vtapes before one is recycled
by amanda, then that drive containing that 30 tapes could itself be
copied to permanent storage, off that machine and it would contain
EVERYTHING needed to recover.  The way my scripts do it, all the indice
data, and all the configuration data that created them, is appended to
each backup, as separate files on the vtape.  That way, a literal bare
metal recovery is as simple as a quick install, preferably with the
install image you were using when the failure took place, then install
amanda from that distro's repo's, then recover the indices and configs
from the newest vtape and put them where they go in the new image, call
up amrecover as root, and in an hour or so you will be looking at the
system as it existed, at say 2AM the morning before the failure when
amanda last ran.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)