Use USB3, UASP, or esata for better performance over just USB,
especially for spinning rust.    It might be preferred to get two or
more desktop drives, and a hard drive "toaster" (They come in 1, 2,
and 4 slice varieties) to pop them into to simplify changing the
drives around on the weekly.  Also make sure before or after you swap
the disks you force a level 0 for each DLE on the backup.