I tried both "localhost backup" and "localhost root" in the amandahosts file. No difference. It is odd -- everything seems to work. I can connect to the localhost, issue sethost and setdisk commands. In fact, if I give an invalid host or disk name, I get an error message. But the ls command just shows no backups. It just gives an empty list. I feel I am tantilizingly close to making this work.