On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 14:21:00 -0500
Nathan Stratton Treadway <natha...@ontko.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 12:51:45 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> > May I request you end two irritants about the Debian version. It
> > creates a user, "backup". That's fine, although "amanda", say,
> > would avoid stepping on some other user named "backup".

> For what it's worth, the "backup" user (uid 34) -- including its home
> directory and login shell settings -- is actually defined on all
> Debian systems as part of the base-passwd package (and thus exist
> completely separately from the Amanda packages).
>
> See, for example:
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/cjwatson/base-passwd.git/tree/passwd.master
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2.2
>      (_Debian Policy Manual_ "9.2.2 UID and GID classes")

I stand corrected, thank you.

> I've always figured that whoever did the original Debian packaging for
> the Amanda software (years ago) decided it would be easier to make use
> of that pre-existing user rather than having to have the package
> installation scripts manage creation (and deletion) of a separate
> "amanda" user....

My conjecture also.

The culprits also did not anticipate amanda over ssh, or possibly
other tools like amcheck, and so the need to use the amanda account
interactively.

> Interestingly, /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.txt.gz
> doesn't seem to know what the "backup" user is for, either:
>   backup
>
>     Presumably so backup/restore responsibilities can be locally
> delegated to someone without full root permissions?
>
>     HELP: Is that right? Amanda reportedly uses this, details?
>
> .... so I suspect that this user was "allocated" in the early mists of
> time for the Debian project, and since then has mostly or completely
> fallen out of use -- except for the use by the Amanda packages....

Yep. Except that something, probably the update-passwd tool, appears to
still use it.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV