but doesn't populate it.  (Again, this is using Amanda 3.4.3.)

(In the following examples, I delete the 00000.TESTBACKUP-01 file out of
the vtape slot1 directory before each test run, so the only difference
is the existence of the "tapelist" file.)

First test: if tapelist doesn't exist beforehand, amlabel creates it,
but the line for the newly-labled tape isn't written to it:
=====
# rm tapelist
# cat tapelist
cat: tapelist: No such file or directory

# su backup -c "amlabel TestBackup TESTBACKUP-01 slot 1"
Reading label...
Found an empty tape.
Writing label 'TESTBACKUP-01'...
Checking label...
Success!
# cat tapelist
# ls -l tapelist
-rw------- 1 backup backup 0 Mar 15 17:58 tapelist
=====

(The label is in fact written to the vtape, so the end result a labeled
vtape that isn't listed in the tapelist file, as shown if I repeat the
label command again immediately after the previous run:
=====
# su backup -c "amlabel TestBackup TESTBACKUP-01 slot 1"
Reading label...
Found label 'TESTBACKUP-01' but it is not in the tapelist file.
Not writing label.
Not writing label.
=====
)

However, if I create an empty tapelist file first, the tape-line is
written to the file as expected:
=====
# rm tapelist
# cat tapelist
cat: tapelist: No such file or directory
# touch tapelist

# su backup -c "amlabel TestBackup TESTBACKUP-01 slot 1"
Reading label...
Found an empty tape.
Writing label 'TESTBACKUP-01'...
Checking label...
Success!
# cat tapelist
0 TESTBACKUP-01 reuse BLOCKSIZE:32 POOL:TestBackup STORAGE:TestBackup
CONFIG:TestBackup
=====

At first glance, the amlabel.20170315*.debug files for the two runs
appear identical (e.g. both are 33 lines and 449 words long, according
to "wc"), so I don't believe the log gives any indication that something
went wrong.

(Jean-Louis,) let me know if the cause of this problem is immediately
obvious to you or if it would help for me to do some debugging the
Tapelist.pm code.

Thanks.

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239