I didn't.

I have the server's public key on the client.

When I ssh'd from the client to the server, I only got the known_hosts and then terminated the connection. In retrospect, I'm not sure I even needed that. I should try setting aside known_hosts on the client and see if amcheck on the server still works. In any case, I never fully ssh in as amanda or as backup. I don't even remember the password for amanda. I set it to something outrageous and then promptly forgot it. I log in as myself and use sudo to get to amanda if needed.

For amrecover, I typically run it on the server and then move things to the
client, if needed.