On Fri, 2017-06-30 at 18:55 -0400, Greg Dickie wrote:
> So I went back and explicitly set compress none. Apparently it
> defaults to "client fast". It seems faster now although the size of
> the estimate has doubled. What is the deal with compression.
> Everything I've seen implies disabling compression on the drive and
> using software. Is that the case?

It supposedly makes estimates more accurate. And cuts down on holding
disk and network use. But there's no way you can pull data off one
client at 300MB/sec using software compression (maybe if you had a _lot_
of cores and used pigz).

It is useful if you're backing up many clients, doing the compression
client-side, and you have a holding disk.

With your setup, if your data is compressible, you should probably use
hardware compression.