Hi,

as you already wrote, /boot/efi is a mount point for a partition of the
flash memory of your main board, so it is in fact a different file
system, not a symlink or such.
If I understood it correctly, the partition is formatted with a
vfat-like file system and holds boot images etc. for your machine. I'm
in doubt that it makes sense to include this stuff in a backup. Even if
you need to do a bare-iron recovery of that machine, you probably would
first re-install the OS, what would update that partition with your new
boot image anyway. So I would go with a simple exclude statement for
/boot/efi in the disklist.

Jens