On Monday 15 January 2018 08:11:37 Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

> Luc,
>
> You should keep the driver in variable block size:
> eg . /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 0
>
> Jean-Louis
>
> On 12/01/18 03:20 PM, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> > Hello Gene,
> >
> > Would a variant like this:
> >
> >         /usr/sbin/mtx load 1 0;
> >         /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/st0 compression 0;
> >         /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 524288;
> >         /usr/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/st0 bs=512k count=1;
> >         su amandabackup -c "/usr/sbin/amlabel -f Monthly-LTO7
> > 000321L7 slot 1";
> >         /usr/sbin/mtx unload 1 0;
> >
> > work?
> >
> > During my tests with this, the hardware compression stays disabled
> > when I load a new tape.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > On 2018-01-11 10:51 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> 1. rewind the tape.
> >> 1a. Do NOT remove tape from drive, or cause it to read the tape
> >> other than what I write here until after step 5.
> >> 2. read the label out to a 32k file.
> >> 3. rewind the tape.
> >> 4. Turn the compression off, probably with mt.
> >> 5. Immediately re-write that label while the tape is rewound, and
> >> the hidden tape id block in front of the label will get rewritten
> >> too, with that compression flag off.

The above quote of my previous message is Copyright 2018 by Maurice E.
Heskett.

> This message is the property of CARBONITE, INC. and may contain
> confidential or privileged information. If this message has been
> delivered to you by mistake, then do not copy or deliver this message
> to anyone.  Instead, destroy it and notify me by reply e-mail

And I publically object to CARBINITE, INC's attempt to establish
copyright claims on what I write by claiming its their property.  Yahoo
used to do that too. Am I going to revert to a sig establishing my own
copyright claims, something I haven't had to do in a decade or more?

I don't mind reading a "commercial" touting the product thats paying the
net bills. I am a firm believer in the TANSTAAFL principle, but what I
write is NOT CARBONITE INC.'s property.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)