On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 14:29:24 -0500
hy...@lactose.homelinux.net wrote:

> So having had this
> emergency, I now want to keep, in perpetuity, my last full backup of
> the now-dead machine.

You may prefer to grab the last full backups and any subsequent partial
backups, so that you have a snapshot of the system as of the last
backup.

This sounds like a job for amvault. I have not used it, but others may
pitch in with advice.

--

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has
destroyed itself within. The essential causes of Rome's decline lay in

-- Will and Ariel Durant, III The Story of Civilization (1944) epilogue