I've got an Amanda 3.4.5 server running on Centos 7 now, and am able to do
rudimentary backups of a remote client.

But in spite of reading man pages, HowTo's, etc, I need help choosing config
params.  I don't mind continuing to read and experiment, but if someone could
get me at least in the ballpark, I'd really appreciate it.

The server has an 11TB filesystem to store the backups in.  I should probably
be fancier and split this up more, but not now.   So I've got my holding,
state, and vtapes directories all in there.

The main client I want to back up has 4TB I want to backup.  It's almost all in
one filesystem, but the HowTo for splitting DLE's with exclude lists is clear,
so it should be easy to split this into (say) 10 smaller individual dumps.  The
bulk of the data is pretty static, maybe 10%/month changes.  It's hard to
imagine 20%/month changing.

For a start, I'd like to get a full done every 2 weeks, and
incrementals/differentials on the intervening days.   If I have room to keep 2
fulls (2 complete dumpcycles) that would be great.

So I'm thinking:

- dumpcycle = 14

- runspercycle = 0 (default)

- tapecycle = 30

- runtapes = 1 (default)

I'd break the filesystem into 10 pieces, so 400GB each. and make the vtapes
400GB each (with tapetype length) relying on server-side compression to make it
fit.

The HowTo "Use pigz to speed compression" looks clear, and the DL380 G7 isn't
doing anything else, so server-side compression sounds good.

Any advice on this or better ideas?  Maybe I'm off in left-field.

And one bonus question:  I'm assuming Amanda will just make vtapes as
necessary, but is there any guidance as to how many vtape slots I should create
ahead of time?  If my dumpcycle=14, maybe create 14 slots just to make tapes
easier to find?

Thanks...Lyle