On Wednesday 03 October 2018 10:33:28 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:37:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now I am confused, you are saying that in effect I have to copy this
> > tarball to every client machine in my disklist and add this file to
> > all those and rebuild as client?
> >
> > Sorry, that doesn't cut it. The clients are running whatever version
> > is available from their repo's, as old as 3.3.1 in one case.
>
> No, you don't have to update the amanda-security.conf file on the
> client if you aren't upgrading the client's Amanda; I have many old
> clients running against the server whch has 3.5 and didn't have to
> change any of them that way....
>
> I had in mind from the error messages you quoted that your upgrade
> proceedure pushed the new version out to all your machines... but
> knowing now that that is not the case, it sounds like what's going on
> here is that amcheck prints the same error message once for each
> client system it checks, but the actual error is just on the server
> side.  (I'm assuming here that "server" is where you are attempting to
> upgrade to 3.5.)
>
> So, get the line fixed in the amanda-security.conf on that server
> machine, and I think that one fix will resolve all the copies of the
> error message....

Not supposed to be case sensitive, but I've tried several variations oif
the syntax for that line, even this one, and its ignored, the DEFAULT
overrides it.

>From the config.log: grepping for security
at the top:
--with-bsdtcp-security
way down the log:
#define DEFAULT_SECURITY_FILE "/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf"
farther down the log:
So adding this line to the configure driver script

#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local/ \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --enable-manpage-build  \
        --with-readline \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
        --with-default_security_file=/etc/amanda-security.conf <<<<<<<<<<
echo "sleeping for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after 75 seconds..."
sleep 75
make
====================eof======
was ignored. The error msg sucks, as JoAnn Dow would say, dead toads thru
soda straws. What my clue is, that it complains the file has no tcp
specs actually means it can't access the file, because they ARE there.
You have I believe seen that file in one of my frustrated posts.

So I just started /GenesAmandHelper0.61/backup.sh as amanda to make up
for missing last nights run.
>                                               Nathan

>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

Copyright 2018 by Maurice E. Heskett
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)