On Thu, 2018-11-08 at 13:24 -0500, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> No question is stupid. I learned that beating my head against the
> wall for long hours. :-)
>
> /netdrives/CAMPUS/ is a path which contains users' network drives.
> The level below CAMPUS contains folders which follow the naming
> convention of the username of each account. ie. Chris Nighswonger
> would be cnighswonger and thus /netdrives/CAMPUS/cnighswonger/ would
> be my related network drive.
>
> There are somewhat less than 100 user directories. Prior to this I
> have been backing them all up with a DLE which looks like this:
>
> host "/netdrives/CAMPUS" {
>   comp-tar
>   estimate server
> }
>
> This works fine with the caveat that it results in a huge level 0
> backup.
>
> In the supplied disklist file example in Amanda's documentation
> (/usr/share/doc/amanda-server/examples/disklist), I discovered the
> DLE form I am currently attempting. According to the example this
> should limit each DLE to backing up subdirectories of
> /netdrives/CAMPUS/ based on the regexp supplied in the "include"
> directive.
>
> It appears to me that something may have changed with the way Amanda
> handles this since that document was written.
>
> As Stefan points out, Amanda seems to thing that there is "nothing"
> to be backed up. Furthermore, it appears that the log excerpts I
> posted also show that the regexp is not being applied but that Amanda
> is actually looking for specific subdirectories like
> /netdrives/CAMPUS/af and the like.
>
> Maybe the DLE syntax is incorrect?

I looked at your original post and it looked like it should work, and
the logs show it mostly did work, it just didn't see anything to back
up. I'd suspect permission problems or a bug in your version of tar
maybe. The only thing the logs don't show are the contents of
/tmp/amanda/sendbackup._netdrives_CAMPUS_sz.20181108052711.include,
which presumable has the regex in it. You should be able to recreate
that and test the tar command manually.

For comparison, I use the following for one host and it works fine:

hyperion.example.com /home-A /home {
    gentoo-ssh-encrypt-user-comp
    include "./[aA0-9]*"
    include append "./.amandastub"
} 1
hyperion.example.com /home-B /home {
    gentoo-ssh-encrypt-user-comp
    include "./[bB]*"
    include append "./.amandastub"
} 1
hyperion.example.com /home-C /home {
    gentoo-ssh-encrypt-user-comp
    include "./[cC]*"
    include append "./.amandastub"
} 1
... etc.

The 1's shouldn't matter, although you might want them to control
parallel backups. And my appends are just so the DLE always finds
something to backup even if I don't happen to have any directories
matching those names.

I'm using Amanda 3.5.1-r1, but those DLEs have been used for many
previous versions too.