Hi Folks,

I'm about to start a project during which I want to be able to:

    1. Request a backup at any moment and have that backup be either an
incremental backup (Level N+1), meaning everything that has changed since the
last backup (Level N), or a differential backup, meaning everything that has
changed since the last full backup (Level 1). The second provision,
"differential backup" is pretty straight forward, but I have no idea how to
configure a constantly increasing dump level.
    2. The first backup of the day, meaning the first backup after midnight,
will be a full filesystem backup.

Discussion on point 1:
The provision is for capturing changes that occur during a given period of
time, and no so much for "backup" per se, so AMANDA may not be the best tool,
but it is what I have, so I'm tying to make it fit. I know how to request a
backup, so that's not my problem, but I don't know how to force a given level.
In particular, I don't know how to force a Level N+1 backup. I could replace
the Level N+1 requirement with a forced Level 1, run my experiment, and force a
level 2, and this would meet my requirement of capturing all the changes during
a particular interval. But, again, that requires forcing AMANDA to take
direction about backup levels and I don't know how to do that.

Before anybody reminds me that this is why god invented git, I would like to
add, that the scope of git is typically only known parts of the project, and I
want to capture log files and other files that are sometimes created in
temporary locations with temporary names, which are not known a priori and
therefore can't be "managed" with git.

Discussion on point 2:
The "first backup of the day", will run as a cron job, but it must be a level
0, full filesystem backup so no work for the day is lost. It is more forcing
AMANDA to take direction, I don't know exactly how to do this.

I don't think I like the idea of forcing AMANDA (#MeToo) to do things, but I'm
not above payment in kind. (-:

Thanks for the help,
--
Chris.