My plan is for Debian 11, current is 9, to make ssh authentication the
default.  I will not disable bsd authentication, only harder to setup.

In attach is the Readme.Debian that I have created.

Kind regards
Jose M Calhariz

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 07:48:03AM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 25.02.19 um 00:08 schrieb Jose M Calhariz:
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 04:50:25PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> does anyone see estimates fail on a updated Debian 9.8 amanda
> >> client server?
> >>
> >> update: seems that my new docker daemon on the client closes the
> >> iptables for amanda
> >>
> >> does anyone have a snippet for me?
> >>
> >> I read
> >> https://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Set_Up_iptables_for_Amanda
> >> and loaded that module without success so far.
> >>
> >> connection is coming in, estimate starts, but results seem not
> >> get back to the tape server
> >>

> > I would start using ssh authentication instead of old bsd.  Is what
> > I use in my setups and most probably would work with your docker
> > daemon.
> >
> > I have written documentation on how to setup it and would like
> > beta tester to read it.
>
> good suggestion, thanks! Will try that asap.
>
> And sure, show us the howto

        Se vives de acordo com as leis da natureza, nunca seras
        pobre; se vives de acordo com as opinioes alheias, nunca
        seras rico.
                --  Seneca
Notes on making amanda-client work on a Debian system

To get indexing (or specifically amrecover) to work right two things need
to be done:

1. If you're using tcpd, make sure to edit the server's /etc/hosts.allow and
   allow all client machines into the daemon amandad

2. Edit the server(s) ~backup/.amandahosts and add an entry like:
   "<client_hostname>   root"

As always: for more complex setups consult the manpages and available
documentation in /usr/share/doc/amanda-common ;-)

- - - - -

To make a client work using SSH transport do:

  Copy the contents of id_rsa_amanda.pub from backup@amanda-server into
~backup/.ssh/authorized_keys

mkdir -p ~backup/.ssh
echo -n
'from="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX",no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,command="/usr/lib/amanda/amandad
 -auth=ssh amdump" ' >> ~backup/.ssh/authorized_keys
cat id_rsa_amanda.pub >> ~backup/.ssh/authorized_keys

  Edit the autorized_keys to replace XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX with the IP of
  the backup server.

  Change the shell of the backup account to /bin/bash.

chsh -s /bin/bash backup

  Test in the server that "amcheck $CONF -c $CLIENT" works

 -- Jose M Calhariz <calha...@debian.org>, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:53:08 +0100