I built a nice new virgin debian virtual machine to build amanda on. I
figured I'd fill in dependencies as I solved them, and go from there.

Where are the canonical instructions for building amanda?

I pulled in the git repo:

git clone git://github.com/zmanda/amanda.git

INSTALL says to look at http://wiki.zmanda.com If there are build
instructions there, I don't see them. The rest of it is the GNU
boilerplate, which is incorrect because ./configure doesn't exist.

(Simply referring the reader to a web site isn't the most polite thing
to do. Can we have a complete URL?)

DEVELOPING looks like a good place. Nope, nothing there.

How about README? It refers the reader to docs/INSTALL. There is no
docs directory in the repo. Is that the same as the INSTALL file in the
root of the repo?

Just for the halibut, I tried running autogen (/usr/bin/autogen). It
just hung there. No error message, nothing. htop showed four processes
running, none of them doing anything. (The VM has four processors.)

There is a script, also called autogen, in the root of the repo. That,
at least, runs and gives me error messages. I will fill in those
dependencies and see where I get.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but