On Friday 10 May 2019 05:06:25 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
> > it. but pstree doesn't.
> >
> > pstree spits out 100 lines of hits, while htop says there are 111
> > tasks ATM. But on a 5th run of pstree, mailwatcher is there. A Head
> > scratcher.
> >
> > But I think I need to get sane, or scanimage -L working next as
> > thats screw up several other things, like gimp and the *office*
> > stuffs. I can kill the ups stuff thats spamming the logs. I've also
> > posted to the emc-dev list about this kernel lack of a couple
> > modules. So I'll expect things will eventually get fixed.
>
> [...]
> One diff though, I
>
> > have never hand installed with a null prefix, always been
> > /usr/local. Using your procedure, how would I make it work to build
> > and install in /usr/local?
>
> Needs two more $varnames in the rules file, $USERNAME and $GROUPNAME
> so that one does not have to troll all the way thru the rules file to
> change all the names of the debs from amanda-backup-client to
> amanda-client yadda yadda.
>
> But this needs to be in the git clone as downloaded or possibly as a
> patch to be applied by autogen autogen or thereabouts.  Otherwise its
> a lot of work, only to be rewritten back to the original by the fresh
> git clone.  Or can I just do a make clean and rerun the packaging
> command to change both the prefix and the packaging names?
>

> I've done the rules edits, now lets see what I get starting with "bash
> autogen".
>
> But that blew up, and I don't see why, so rules
> and /var/log/amanda.install.log from yesterday's fail is attached.
> And I can't find the build.log if there is one.
>
> One other comment, I only tried dump once, 20 years ago, such a
> disaster I've used tar ever since, but I see it wasting time, a lot of
> it, testing dump.  You may want to take a survey and see if among us,
> there is anybody using dump. It might be worthwhile to drop it.
>
> This build baled out here:  And this time, maybe. I keep setting
> bashes damned history up to 10,000 lines, and the next time I look its
> back to 1000 which is not enough by a hell of a long row of apple
> trees.  So this time I set it unlimited.  And in the first 50 lines I
> see its back to amandabackup for a user. ctl+c and I give up for
> today. I have to go pay the rent on a wheelchair that hasn't been used
> since last summer. Same with her car she'll never drive again but
> won't let me sell it. 2007 Toy RAV-4 with about 63k miles on it.
>
> So 3 things, make prefix=/usr/local, make user=amanda. And make
> debs "amanda-server-version.deb" and "amanda-client-version.deb"
> and "amanda-common-version.deb", that last I don't see being built.
>
> Put it in the git repo as we can always move prefix.  Or make prefix
> part of the autogen command line, or maybe even a user generated file
> the package builder can refer to, hell even an env $var, whatever
> floats the boat best.  Your call, but it needs to be adjustable for

I just found something else, the use of localhost in the server build
should also be adjusted to be either the alias or the fqdn of the
machine doing the server role. I've adjusted the rules file here by
using geany's search and replace to replace all instances of
amanda-backup with $(AMANDAUSER), changed line 16 to /usr/local and
another clean from the git clone build is underway. So far its only
complaint is that smbclient, which has never been used here, does not
seem to be smbclient. Since Tridgel took on a helper samba/cifs has been
buggier than ten day old roadkill. I use, in the rest of my networking
here, sshfs, and it Just Works. But thats just my opinion, beating all
the variations of samba/cifs and NFS out of use. I have a root
dir "sshnet" and all my other live machines are mounted to subdirs
there. And I don't have to be root to mount them. I have known_keys in
my home dir that make it all login-less. The thing is I have write perms
to anything on those machines that I as first user can write too. Sweet.
Painless. Just Works.
I have all that in /etc/rc.local but stretch does not appear to
execute /etc/rc.local. So I now run bin/mount-machines after a reboot:
#!/bin/bash
sshfs gene@shop:/ /sshnet/shop
sshfs gene@lathe:/ /sshnet/lathe
sshfs gene@GO704:/ /sshnet/GO704
sshfs pi@picnc:/ /sshnet/picnc

And like magic they all appear, fully accessible to mc for anything I
own.
But that enough preaching.  Back to the build, which errored:

dh_install -v --sourcedir=/home/amanda/amanda/build/debian/tmp
>> /home/amanda/amanda/build/debian/dpkg.log 2>&1
debian/rules:122: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 255
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
status 2

>From line 121:
binary-arch: build
        echo "---->dh_testdir: " >> $(log)