On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 10:37:59 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 21 June 2019 10:27:37 C. Scheeder wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > As far as i recal this is an expected behavior for this version of
> > amanda.
> >
> > short explanation:
> >
> > amcheck does all work as normal user, so if the user hasn't access to
> > the full tree up to the root dir it will complain it can't access
> > these dirs.
> >
> > amdump does the backups with elevated rights, so it can access these
> > dirs without a problem.
> >
> > That isn't nice but i have learned to live with it....
>
> Arrrgh, spit. But it is also the only explanation that makes any sense,
> so I guess I'll have to do likewise.

Gene, these DLEs are using GNUTAR dumptypes, right?

Have you tried using the amgtar application rather than GNUTAR
anywhere?  With v3.5 on the server and Stretch on this client, you
should be all set to switch.  I haven't actually tested your scenario
myself, but I'm fairly certain that amgtar's design allows it to avoid
this particular permission problem, so you might find this a good reason
to make the switch to amgtar at this point....

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239