I upgraded the VM on which I installed my zmanda packages to debian 10
("buster"). The cron job then silently failed to run. amcheck reports
no errors. Running amdump by hand produced no output. The log produced
the following, among other things:

FATAL taper Bizarre copy of FORMAT in scalar assignment at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.24.1/Amanda/Storage.pm line 196.
WARNING driver Taper protocol error
WARNING driver going into degraded mode because of taper component error.
INFO planner Full dump of amanda2:/home promoted from 27 days ahead.
INFO planner Full dump of amanda2:/root promoted from 27 days ahead.
FINISH planner date 20190710064126 time 2.301
INFO planner pid-done 2246
INFO chunker chunker pid 2284
WARNING driver chunker0 pid 2284 is messed up, ignoring it.
WARNING driver chunker0 died while dumping amanda2:/home lev 1.

The package is:

root@amanda2:~# pre amanda
amanda-backup-server    3.5.1.git.19364c7b-1Debian99            amd64
root@amanda2:~#

root@amanda2:~# perl --version

This is perl 5, version 28, subversion 1 (v5.28.1) built for
x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi (with 61 registered patches, see perl -V
for more detail)

The complete log is attached.

I think my next step will be to upgrade the VM on which I compiled
those packages, rebuild them, and re-install them. Or maybe look at the
offending code.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but