Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> writes:

> Do you really expect all (or most) of your vtapes to be 100% full?  If so,
> I do not think you have allocated enough total space.
>
> Amanda has one provision for dealing with such situations, the holding
> disk.  Mine is dedicated, and about the size of four vtapes.
>
> Another is "runtapes".  Oh, or do you plan to run exactly the number of
> vtapes that you need for your chosen dumpcycle?

Of course not. runtapes can be as big as needed, provided that vtapes
are small enough.

>> So I prefer to stick with the amount of vtapes equal to the real amount
>> of disk space.
>
> Then, from my experience, you will be leaving about 1/3 of your disk empty.

/dev/ada3p1              2.6T    2.2T    234G    91%    /automnt/ada3
/dev/ada4p1              2.6T    2.3T    121G    95%    /automnt/ada4
/dev/ada2p1              2.6T    2.4T    8.5G   100%    /automnt/ada2
/dev/ada5p1              2.6T    2.4T     60G    98%    /automnt/ada5
/dev/ada1p1              2.6T    2.0T    458G    82%    /automnt/ada1
/dev/ada6p1              2.6T    2.3T     86G    97%    /automnt/ada6

Disks are 3TB with 27 vtapes in each disk an 10GB per chunk. I am
surprised at the 100% utilisation reported for ada2, even if it is
"system utilisation" with some decent amount of space left.

> Is your backup size really even pseudo random?  Mine, over 40+ years,
> at many sites, have never been.

As I said, this is a theoretical exercise. The largest chuck of data
that I backup every day is the users files, that can vary a lot when you
have 200+ users.

> That is based on the assumption that your tapes match the available space
> and your runtapes is 1.  Neither of which ?we?/I recommend.  BTW I just
> peeked, my disks dedicated to vtapes, even though substantially over-
> subscribed are between 79% and 89% full.

Runtapes could be bigger than needed, Amanda will use only what it needs.

> First, though an unused inode would be allocated, no inodes would be
> wasted.  When you create your file system (assuming extX, ???) space
> to a set number of inodes is created.

OK, my mistake for mentioning inodes. I would have to review how
filesystems (ufs, FreeBSD) work. If creating a directpry does not
consume any disk space, then there is no penalty for having a multitude
of small vtapes.

> Second, disks have many millions, even billions of data blocks.  Are
> you really worried about using another 1 or 3 for a directory?  You
> must have more important thing with which to be concerned.
>
> One last thing, when you create your file system(s) for vtapes you may
> be able to control how many inodes are created.  Remember each file
> takes only one inode.  A 3TB disk of vtapes on my system only has a
> total of 947 files.

I have the same number of files per disk.

> Yet there were 350,000 inodes created even though
> I changed the mkfs options to greatly reduce them.  Another disk where
> I forgot to reduce the number of inodes created has 190,000,000 inodes.
>
> So I'm "wasting" about 20,000,000 data blocks as inodes.  Not enough
> for a 100GB vtape, but enough for four 5GB chunks.

I will have to remember twicking the filesystem the next time I change
the disks, because with the default, I am wasting over 350 million
inodes per disk.

Thank you,

Olivier