On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:36:33 +0100
Jose M Calhariz <jose.calha...@tecnico.ulisboa.pt> wrote:

> On my main amanda installation I have a client that gives time out
> when doing backups.  I have researched and checked out the most common
> problems.  In the end I have found that:
>
> - "amcheck Config -c client" gives 30 seconds of timeout.

I do not see that. I checked two clients, one AMD64, the other i386.

> - I do not have any clue on the logs at the client.
>
> - Running the command by hand on the client I get segmentation fault.
>
> /usr/lib/amanda/amandad -auth=ssh amdump
> Segmentation fault

I see that, on both machines.

> - Running the command inside gdb I see a NULL pointer.
>
> gdb /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
> GNU gdb (Debian 8.2.1-2+b3) 8.2.1

I do not have symbols installed, so of course I can't examine the
variables. I do see a segment fault:

(gdb) run -auth=ssh amdump
Starting program: /usr/lib/amanda/amandad -auth=ssh amdump
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

0x00007ffff7f3a687 in stream_sendpkt () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/amanda/libamanda-3.5.1.so
(gdb)

I have no idea what is going on here, not having the source in front of
me. But I wonder if this is because amanda is trying to use an SSH
connection that isn't there?

The first time, I SSHed in as root, did an su - to backup, then ran
gdb. To test my hypothesis above, I went to my amanda server, su - to
backup, then sshed to the client. This time I did not get a seg fault,
and used Ctl-c to end the process:

(gdb) run -auth=ssh amdump
Starting program: /usr/lib/amanda/amandad -auth=ssh amdump
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
^C
0x00007ffff76a27e4 in __GI___poll (fds=0x55555559e3d0, nfds=2, timeout=30000)
at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c:29
29      ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb)

This is with the bog standard Buster version of amanda:

root@dzur:~# pre amanda
amanda-client   1:3.5.1-2+b2            amd64
amanda-common   1:3.5.1-2+b2            amd64
root@dzur:~#

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com