On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 00:26:08 +0000, Pavan Raj wrote:
> We would like to continue the momentum with the upgrades and plan for
> a new release.

(I'm not sure what "upgrades" you have in mind, but in any case I
haven't seen any discussion of a new release here in quite a while, nor
do I see any new-release-type activity in the git repo....)

> As a next step, we would like to improve the website to address the
> security issues, modernize, and improve the usability.

I could probably get excited about a revamped amanda.org website
someday, but really getting a bugfix release out the door seems much
more important.

v3.5.1 was released December 1, 2017.  Since then a number of fixes for
bugs have been identified, but all those fixes are still not available
for atual use anywhere, except for the few custom patches being applied
by some distribution-specific maintainers.  (There was an effort in
November 2019 to collect some of the patches into the Zmanda git repo,
but after that brief spurt nothing else happened.)

Over the past couple of months we (here on this list) have identified
several pretty serious bugs and come up with some apparent workarounds,
but had no activity/help from Betsol developers in identifying the
underlying cause and finding correct fixes for those issues, let alone
in getting those fixes tested out and then incorportated into a release
so users can avoid those problems in the future.

So as an urgent first step, I'd definitely be in favor of a 3.5.2
release (and preferably a plan for subsequent minor releases coming down
the pike) before any effort is spent on a website refresh...

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239