Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your insights and help.

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:24, Nathan Stratton Treadway <natha...@ontko.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:53:52 +1100, Tom Robinson wrote:
> >
> > Also, the man page says there are defaults for NORMAL and STRANGE but
> these
> > 'defaults' don't seem to be included into the application definition
> when I
> > dump the config information with amadmin daily config:
>
> [...]
> > Is the man page incorrect? Are the 'defaults' really applied or do I have
> > to manually specify them in the config file?
>
> I haven't looked closely at this functionality before, but from a quick
> skim of the code in application-src/amgtar.c, it looks like those
> default values are built directly in to the program itself.
>
> That is, they aren't implemented as part of the config system and thus
> don't show in the output of "amadmin ... config", but they do indeed
> exist underneath the hood.

Ah, that explains it. Although it is somewhat confusing to not see that in
the config file at first.

> (As a corollary to that, it seems like there isn't any way to completely
> delete the default strings from amgtar's processing, though you can
> override the treatment of a particular regex by explicitly specifying
> it as another type in the config file.)
>

> (Are you seeing any situations where it looks like the default strings
> aren't being applied as you would have expected from the man page
> description?)

CentOS Linux release 8.2.2004 (Core)
amanda 3.5.1

I'm still seeing messages in the report that should have been squashed. It
also doesn't matter what I have configured as 'NORMAL' for the application
configuration.

STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
  /-- lambo.motec.com.au / lev 1 STRANGE
  sendbackup: info BACKUP=APPLICATION
  sendbackup: info APPLICATION=amgtar
  sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc
|/usr/lib64/amanda/application/amgtar restore [./file-to-restore]+
  sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
  sendbackup: info end
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./dev: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./proc: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./run: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./sys: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./mnt/s3backup: directory is on a different filesystem;
not dumped
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs: directory is on a different
filesystem; not dumped
  ? /usr/bin/tar: ./mnt/s3backup: Warning: Cannot flistxattr: Operation not
supported
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/lib/sss/pipes/nss: socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar:
./var/lib/sss/pipes/private/sbus-dp_implicit_files.558138: socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/lib/sss/pipes/private/sbus-dp_implicit_files.782:
socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/spool/postfix/private/anvil: socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/spool/postfix/private/bounce: socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/spool/postfix/private/defer: socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/spool/postfix/private/discard: socket ignored
  | /usr/bin/tar: ./var/spool/postfix/private/error: socket ignored
  Look in the
'/var/log/amanda/log.error/lambo.motec.com.au._.1.20210120132743.errout'
file for full error messages
  \--------

More configs:

DLE:
lambo.motec.com.au / {
        comp-root-amgtar
}

dumptypes:
define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    auth "bsdtcp"
    exclude list optional ".amanda.excludes"
}
define dumptype root-amgtar {
    global
    program "APPLICATION"
    application "app_amgtar"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    priority low
}
define dumptype comp-root-amgtar {
    root-amgtar
    comment "Root partitions with compression dumped with tar"
    compress client fast
}
Application:

Note that this config setting:

define application-tool app_amgtar {
    comment "amgtar"
    plugin  "amgtar"
    property "XATTRS" "YES"
    property "ACLS" "YES"
    #property "GNUTAR-PATH" "/path/to/gtar"
    #property "GNUTAR-LISTDIR" "/path/to/gnutar_list_dir"
    property        "NORMAL" ": socket ignored$"
    property append "NORMAL" ": file changed as we read it$"
    property append "NORMAL" ": directory is on a different filesystem; not
dumped$"
}

AND this config setting:

define application-tool app_amgtar {
    comment "amgtar"
    plugin  "amgtar"
    property "XATTRS" "YES"
    property "ACLS" "YES"
    #property "GNUTAR-PATH" "/path/to/gtar"
    #property "GNUTAR-LISTDIR" "/path/to/gnutar_list_dir"
#    property        "NORMAL" ": socket ignored$"
#    property append "NORMAL" ": file changed as we read it$"
#    property append "NORMAL" ": directory is on a different filesystem;
not dumped$"
}

give the same results in the report.

Kind regards,