From: owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org <owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org> On Behalf
Of Debra S Baddorf
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 2:09 PM
To: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Cc: Debra S Baddorf <badd...@fnal.gov>; amanda-users@amanda.org
Subject: Re: Amanda really blew up last night.

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or
click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

> On Jan 30, 2021, at 3:46 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
>
> On Friday 29 January 2021 17:13:39 Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind
>>> -rwsr-x--x 1 root backup 26640 Jan 22
>>> 20:17 /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind
>>> So I changed it to root:disk, no change in the amcheck output, its
>>> still semi happy
>>> Chmod 4750 gets a no execute error out of ambind, must be 4751.
>>> amcheck then complains, but the backup runs just fine. And did last
>>> night, 6 minutes after it failed on a 29Gig dle.
>>>
>>> I'm going to write another dumptype pair today, breakiing that 29G
>>> directory up into two dle's.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>>
>> Actually, I broke it up into 7 dle's and its run fine for 3 nights in
>> a row, I should paint it on the wall but Murphy is watching. :)
>>
> And I knew I should not have bragged, it failed again last night,
> someplace in amstatus. But did a redo for recovery but that wastes space
> in the vtape, and leaves trash in the holding disk I have to clean up
> before it will do another GOOD backup.

I keep reading that there is less wasted space with tapes.   Just because you
allocate X space for each tape,  I believe they only use up the space that’s
actually used.
    I does use up another number in your vtape roster, but those seem to me
to be free - just increase your vtape  count and number a few more.

Odd about the holding disk trash preventing further backups.
I find months old stuff in my holding disk, and only clear it out
occasionally when the mood arises.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab