Some days my system logs are being flooded with hundreds
of thousands of network entries saying "STATE_INVALID_DROP".

Nearly all are caused by packets coming from my regular
desktop system to my amanda server.  And based on the
times and sizes (all full to MTU) they are amanda dump
packets.

When it occurs, a run of bad packets will last for about
one minute (300-400 bad packets per second) and after a
gap of about nine minutes will start again for one minute.
Here is a sample from last night.

              Bad Run of Packets
               start        end
    Feb 13    03:28:43    03:29:56
    Feb 13    03:38:44    03:39:54
    Feb 13    03:48:45    03:50:20
    Feb 13    03:58:46    04:00:00
    Feb 13    04:08:47    04:10:25
    Feb 13    04:18:48    04:20:09
    Feb 13    04:28:49    04:30:01

This continued until after 6AM.

Note, the amdump run successfully completed even
with this bad activity, but took much longer than
normal (like 2-3 times longer).

I am getting some of these bad packet runs each night.
However on most nights it is only a couple of bad runs
lasting a minute or even less.

Any suggestions on what/how to investigate this.

Thanks,
Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)