From: C. Chan <c-c...@uchicago.edu>
Sent: 24 May 2021 17:06
To: David Simpson <simpso...@cardiff.ac.uk>; amanda-users@amanda.org
<amanda-users@amanda.org>
Subject: Re: scale of backup and frequency

External email to Cardiff University - Take care when replying/opening
attachments or links.
Nid ebost mewnol o Brifysgol Caerdydd yw hwn - Cymerwch ofal wrth ateb/agor
atodiadau neu ddolenni.

FYI:

i. Three different backup sets, each around 100TB and growing.

ii. Fri evening - Mon morning weekend backups, rotated quarterly/every 12 weeks.
     Filesystem snapshots done hourly, rotated each day, and daily snapshots,
rotated
     each week, in place of daily incremental backups.

iii.  The two biggest challenges are the explosion of the total volume of data
       and the increase in IOPS limited small file I/O, both mostly due to deep
learning.
       We are currently using NAS servers with ZFS special devices to store
small files
       on NVMe SSD drives, but are planning to migrate/consolidate to a Panasas
system.

Also Sprach David Simpson:

--
C. Chan <c-chan at uchicago.edu>