On Tuesday 21 September 2021 03:44:14 Diego Zuccato wrote:

> I'm not an expert but I'd set a tapechanger script that wakes the
> vtape by reading or writing something to the disk.
>
> Il 20/09/2021 05:07, Jon LaBadie ha scritto:
> > is there a way to run a user supplied program just
> > before amanda's taper opens each tape file?  I.e.,
> > before it actually opens and creates a new file on
> > the tape.
> >
> > Do I recall correctly that it opens a tmp file on
> > the vtape and when complete renames it?  Or am I
> > thinking of the chunks on the holding disk?
> >
> > jon

I don't shut down the spinning rust, landing the head as they stop is the
most dangerous time for spinning rust. When I installed stretch several
years ago now I replaced the boot drive with a new one. The 1T disk I
pulled out and is now serving as a paperweight had 25 re-allocated
sectors on it the first time I checked at less than 1000 hours, still
had 25 reallocated sectors on it the last time I checked, and there was
over 67,000 hours of spinning time on it then. It pains me to do a
shutdown for mahine mods, because thats another restart cycle.  The next
shutdown will only leave the /amandatapes drive as the last remaining
spinning rust drive.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)