On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:32:28 -0400
Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> wrote:

> Interesting discussion in other threads got me wondering
> whether I should have made some other choices when setting
> up my vtape environment.  Particularly whether I should
> have used LVM (Logical Volume Management) to create one
> large filesystem covering my multiple dedicated disks.

I have a SOHO environment, so I don't have quite your space
requirements. Here's what I have, on Debian Linux.

Two 4 TB (3.64 TiB) drives. Each of those has a single partition.

On top of those two partitions, a 4 TB RAID 1 partition.

On top of that, LUKs encryption.

On that, an LVM physical volume with one logical volume and some spare
space. The LV has ext4 for the file system. Amanda shares that with
other stuff I don't use very often but would like to keep.

I wanted the RAID for redundancy, the encryption for privacy, and the
LVM for flexibility. So far it is working well.

Then I have my offsite USB drives. LUKS, no LVM.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/