Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> writes:

> I should probably point out that ALL my problems with bad crc's of the
> holding disk files went away when I replaced the holding disk, which was
> apparently an SMR disk, with an SSD of 1/4 the size of the spinning rust
> disk.  And my backup times to get all 6 machines were sped up from
> around two hours to under 30 minutes. All by the non-SMR, SSD holding
> disk.  So at the very least, I can sure recommend an SSD as a holding
> disk.

My 2 cents about using SSD for holding disk: over 15 years of running
amanda on hard disks, the only disk problem I ever had was with the
holding disk and the disk did get damaged in the holding disk area. It
seems that the holding disk function puts a tremendous usage on the disk
(especially with compression on the server I presume) to the point of
damaging a hard disk. I am wondering how an SSD will cope.

Best regards,

Olivier