In amavisd.conf-default (and sections of amavisd), looking at these
assignments, am I to assume if $virus_admin (or @virus_admin_maps) is
defined, this definition will carry over to $banned_admin and
$bad_header_admin?

$virus_admin = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]';
# @virus_admin_maps     = (\%virus_admin, \$virus_admin);
# $banned_admin     = [EMAIL PROTECTED];  # for compatibility with pre-2.2.1
# $bad_header_admin = [EMAIL PROTECTED];  # for compatibility with pre-2.2.1

The only way I can get notification to $banned_admin is by explicitly
setting $banned_admin. I tried and failed to determine why
$virus_admin was not assigned to $banned_admin. I did not test
$bad_header_admin but I assume the same thing happens.

My only thought is @virus_admin_maps may be undefined (or not in the
expected format) at the time the assignment is made (even if $virus_admin
or @virus_admin_maps is defined in amavisd.conf).

In amavisd.conf, this worked:
$virus_admin = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]';
$banned_admin = $virus_admin;