Jochen wrote:

> On So, 25.09.2005, 03:10, Bartosz Wegrzyn - asterisk sagte:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to set amavisd in that way that it listens on port 25,
>> filters traffic, and later forwards it back to original smtp server.
>>
>> Thank You
>>

> I guess you could, by changing/setting

> #$inet_socket_port = 10024;
> to port 25 in the amavis.conf
> and the forward target
> #$forward_method = 'smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025';  # where to forward checked mail
> to whereever your target SMTP server runs

> BUT BE WARNED !!!!
> I WOULD NOT EXPECT AMAVIS TO BE AS ROBUST AS A SMTP SERVER AND WOULD
> THEREFORE NOT EXPOSE IT ON PORT 25 ON THE PUBLIC INTERNET.... AND YOU RUN
> THE RISK OF TURNING YOUR SMTP SERVER INTO AN OPEN-RELAY.

> To keep resource consumption down it does also make sense to have an STMP
> server check some basic conditions before Amavis check an email. I guess
> that's why most people use the SMTP --> AMAVIS --> SMTP approach.

> HTH
> Jochen

Typically, to do something similar to what you are requesting, you would run
amavisd-new as a Postfix smtpd_proxy_filter (before-queue filter) as shown
in this setup:
http://flakshack.com/anti-spam/wiki/index.php?page=Installing+and+Configuring+Postfix
However, this setup is not recommended either (as the link itself
explains). It can be used in low volume situations, but it has been
shown that amavisd-new may not understand some commands (notably one
that Exchange throws at it). For example:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amavis-user&m=112246862324388&w=2