John,

> I have a problem running amavisd-new2.3.3 on SuSE 9.0, to be more pricise,
> the dependency Net::server-0.88 fails on SuSE9.0 .
> In SuSE 9.1 /9.2 there are no problems and amavisd-new2.3.3 and
> perl::net::server0.88 are runnig happely.
>
> Net::server-0.88 compiles and installs without any complaints, but when
> starting amavisd-new with Net::server0.88, amavisd cannot change gid.

> My temporary work around is to change the initscript to to start
> amavisd-new with the correct uid-gid.
> startproc -p /var/spool/amavis/amavisd.pid $AMAVISD_BIN -u vscan -g vscan
>
> But offcourse this only work around, not the solution for the problem.

Notwithstanding what Gary say, the solution you are using (specifying -u and
-g options) is actually a preferred way of starting amavisd when amavisd
does not need to call chroot (for which it needs root privilege).

Switching uid and gid _before_ amavisd.conf is executed protects against
potential malicious or careless hacks one might have put into amavisd.conf,
intentionally or unintentionally. But then again, when chroot is needed,
this is unfortunately not an option, which is why it isn't enforced.