At 02:50 PM 10/20/2005, Alvaro Graves wrote:
Hi,

I have installed a server with Postfix+Courier+MySQL. Recently I installed Amavis (only with SpamAssassin for now). However now it takes more than 1 hour for the messages to reach their destination. I tried different configurations, number of child processes (2, 10, 50, 0) but nothing seems to work.

Below there are some of the options *I think* are relevant:

_In /etc/amavis.conf:_
$max_servers = 100; # number of pre-forked children (default 2)
$max_requests = 20;
$child_timeout=2*60;
@bypass_virus_checks_acl = qw( . ); # @bypass_spam_checks_acl = qw( . );

100 servers is WAY too many. Assuming a fast single CPU and 1G ram, 20 is probably a good starting number. A few more or less depending on what else the machine is doing. Check vmstat and top to make sure you aren't swapping, which will slow things down to a crawl. 2*60 (two minutes) is too short a timeout, 5-15 minutes is a reasonable range, the default is 8 minutes. You want this set large enough that messages don't time out unless something is severely and abnormally wrong, as a timeout will cause the message to requeue and try again later. and later. and later. Some installations may benefit greatly from using a ramdisk/tmpfs for amavisd-new $TEMPBASE directory. Make sure you allocate enough memory for all of your amavisd-new processes, but make sure you don't allocate so much memory you start swapping.
http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/amavisd_tmpfs.shtml

smtp-amavis unix - - y - - smtp -o smtp_data_done_timeout=1200 -o disable_dns_lookups=yes

The max proc column (column 7) in the above entry must match $max_servers in amavisd.conf.

Review the INSTALL.postfix included with amavisd-new.
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.postfix.txt
http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html#rope

Review your logs for problems.
Set $log_level = 2; in amavisd.conf to see timing reports in the amavisd-new log.

--
Noel Jones