Paolo,

> According to the output of this command and past days' rules hit I
> disabled many network tests:
> score RCVD_IN_BONDEDSENDER      0

Ok, although in general the ones that should really be disabled
are only the defunct ones (which time out most of the time),
or the ones which earned  bad reputation by producing
too many unjustified positives.

> I should only have SURBL enabled by now.
> I also added a DNS cache (BIND9) local to the amavis gateway, but
> probably not configured at its best (I'm no DNS master...).
> That said timings changed from:
>          Seconds per Mail: 9.83
>          Seconds per Blocked Spam: 15.73
> to:
>          Seconds per Mail: 3.54
>          Seconds per Blocked Spam: 6.65
>
> The box is a dual Xeon 3G2 with 2GB RAM hosting amavisd-new + ClamAV +
> SA3.1 + mysql + BIND9. It does not swap-out even under heavy loads. When
> all 10 amavisd-new children are active they do not clog the CPU but
> spend most of the time waiting for DNS replies.

Long latencies are not a problem by itself. If wait times on DNS and RBL
and URIBL and Razor results are rather high on the average, but the machine
is not too busy, you can easily compensate for high latency by increasing
parallelism, just use more child processes for content filtering.

> With all those network tests disabled, the average spam score has
> decreased, but I'd not date to say that we had more false negatives.

Usually a default RBL list of a fairly fresh version of SA is adequate
for most purposes. Turn them off selectively, with good reason only.

Explicitly setting trusted_networks and internal_networks in local.cf
if also advisable, SA sometimes does its topology guessing
incorrectly, affecting DUL lookups for example.