> On Dec 9, 2005, at 09:38 , Haines Brown wrote:
>
> >> Haines,

> >> The logfile is the amavis-new log you want to have statistics from.
> >> Default is /var/log/amavis.log
> >
> > No such file on my machine.
>
> Edit the daemon config file (amavis-stats.conf) and change this to
> the log file you want to use.

I don't have this file, perhaps because my version of amavis-stats is
earlier and not run as a daemon.

> If the person who made the package did it correctly, 'man amavis-
> stats' will list the location of the installed files.

Well, I'm not sure. The man page has:

       /var/lib/amavis-stats/ location of rrd files and state
       information.

       /var/lib/amavis-stats/img image cache directory.

       /usr/share/amavis-stats/amavis-stats.php php  script  for
       generating graphs.

The synopsis of the amavis-stats command requires the argument
"logfile", which the man page does not explicitly define, and that's
my problem.

I presume it is at least a file, and either a log (mail.log or more
likely syslog, which spam disposition is tracked), or amavis-stats own
rrd (whatever that is) file.

In /var/log/amavis I have no obvious single log file, but a set of
files: 1.rrd, 2.rrd (both binary), amavais-stats.count,
amavis-stats.names, amavis-stats.seen, and amavis-stats.state. This
looks like the kind a data you could display in graphical terms, but
it is not a single logfile. These file seem more the result of
analysis rather than a source of data.

There are two "rrd" files and each amavis-stats file above has two
numbered entries. Does this suggest that to date I've run amavis-stats
twice successfully? I tried running it with different files as
"logfile". I tried both /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/syslog, but
neither add a third entry when I try them again now, and so they are
not the correct argument for the amavis-stats command.

When I ran amavis-new on /var/log/syslog, I get

  amavis-stats: Logfile "/var/log/syslog" appears to have rotated

I don't know if this is an error message or only informational.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM