Peter,

> postfix/smtp[26720]: 885E513482: to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1], delay=13, status=deferred (host
> 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing, id=22166-01,
> parts_decode_ext FAILED: parsing file(1) results - missing last 1 results
> at (eval 58) line 154. (in reply to end of DATA command))

The utility program file(1) seems to be failing, perhaps because it sees
contents that triggers some bug in it. Make sure you use a recent version
of file(1):   ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/

See the corresponding entry in the amavisd-new log, where it also tells
where failing message was decomposed and preserved. Try to run
the file(1) program manually on the failing mail part. Do so as user vscan.
Are you running chrooted?

> Postfix's master.cf shows amavisd-new is configured to receive on tcp port
> 10024 and forward back on 10025:
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       5       smtpd
>          -o content_filter=smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
> If I requeue the message with 'postsuper -r ALL' and then flush the queue
> with 'postfix flush' the message goes through but without being processed
> by amavisd-new.

This is because you configured Postfix to only do content filtering
when mail enters via smtp on port 25. A more normal and useful
configuration sets content_filter=... as a global parameter in main.cf,
so that it controls all ports (e.g. including mail submission port)
and the pickup service too. The README.postfix suggests
using content_filter as a global setting.

man postsuper:

-r queue_id
   [...]
   A requeued message is moved to the maildrop queue, from where it
   is copied by the pickup daemon to a new file whose name is guar-
   anteed  to  match the new queue file inode number. The new queue
   file is subjected again to mail address rewriting and  substitu-
   tion.  This  is  useful when rewriting rules or virtual mappings
   have changed.