At 03:52 PM 2/7/2006, EL MOUSSAWI Ali wrote:
Hello all
Is it possible to have a configuration for amavisd + SA (no virus checking) without writing to disk. I noticed that TEMPDIR is rather very used for writing the whole email + its attachements. I am interested in this option because i have only one machine and some other hosted services on it.
Thanks a lot

You can disable amavisd-new unpacking the mail, and/or you can set $TEMPBASE to a tmpfs or ramdisk so that it doesn't actually use the disk if you have plenty of RAM. You can't disable writing the mail completely.

To use a tmpfs, see:
http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/amavisd_tmpfs.shtml

To skip unpacking the mail, see the following comments from amavisd.conf-sample:

# set $bypass_decode_parts to true if you only do spam scanning, or if you # have a good virus scanner that can deal with compression and recursively
# unpacking archives by itself, and save amavisd the trouble.
# Disabling decoding also causes banned_files checking to only see # MIME names and MIME content types, not the content classification types
# as provided by the file(1) utility.
# It is a double-edged sword, make sure you know what you are doing!
#
#$bypass_decode_parts = 1;              # (defaults to false)

--
Noel Jones