I have some suggested changes to AV scanners.

I've been playing with the latest versions of Kaspersky AV. The new
aveclient path should be added to the list of places to look for the
binary:

'/opt/kav/5.5/kav4mailservers/bin/aveclient',

### http://www.kaspersky.com/  (in the 'file server version')
['KasperskyLab AVP - aveclient',
  ['/usr/local/kav/bin/aveclient','/usr/local/share/kav/bin/aveclient',

'/opt/kav/bin/aveclient','/opt/kav/5.5/kav4mailservers/bin/aveclient','aveclient'],
  '-p /var/run/aveserver -s {}/*', [0,3,6,8], qr/\b(INFECTED|SUSPICION)\b/,
  qr/(?:INFECTED|SUSPICION) (.+)/,
],

BTW, the 'file server version' no longer uses aveserver/aveclient.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amavis-user&m=111927111632475&w=2

The 'mail server version' now uses it. The 'file server' or 'workstation'
versions come with kavscanner, the command line scanner, and kavmonitor
which needs to be compiled into the kernel. I was unable to get kavmonitor
to work (and my be better off with it not working on a machine that uses
amavisd-new). I suggest skipping kavmonitor compilation. The whole server
package may not be appropriate from a licensing standpoint at any rate.
It appears kavmonitor is designed as a real-time monitor:

"1. When a program attempts to access an object within the protected file
system (requesting to open, launch or close a file) the call is intercepted
by the kernel module of the kavmonitor component, and the file is
checked for the presence of a virus."

#############

Configuring kavscanner to allow the amavisd-new user write access to a
few needed files is not difficult, but I think once it is configured
to be used by amavisd-new, it should not be used by any other user
because they may change file ownerships, making the program unusable
by the amavisd-new user. It may also simply fail to run for other
normal users anyway because they may not (and should not) be able to
write to some files if they are owned by the amavisd-new user. Running
kavscanner only as the amavisd-new user limits it to scanning
files the amavisd-new user has access to, but this may simply be
because I've not discovered a better way to set this up.

kavscanner needs to be able to read/write to its licenses directory,
so I copied the licenses directory to the amavisd-new home directory,
and then gave ownership to the amavisd-new user. It also needs to
be able to write to at least two files, ichecker.db and kavscanner.log.

To configure this, I changed the paths to these files in the .conf file:
/etc/kav/5.5/kav4unix/kav4unix.conf

On my system I set (among other personal choices):
In the [path] section:
IcheckerDbFile=/var/lib/amavis/ichecker.db
LicensePath=/var/lib/amavis/licenses

In the [scanner.report] section:
ReportFileName=/var/lib/amavis/kavscanner.log

and in amavisd.conf:

['KasperskyLab kavscanner',
['/opt/kav/5.5/kav4unix/bin/kavscanner','kavscanner'],
 '-i1 -xp {}', [0,10,15], [5,20,21,25],
  qr/(?:CURED|INFECTED|CUREFAILED|WARNING|SUSPICION) (.*)/ ,
],

For reference here is the older version that changes directories to
work around some problem, I experimented with various ways to gain
permissions the the files the amavisd-new user needs, but I believe
the above solution is possibly the best solution.

  ['KasperskyLab kavscanner', ['/opt/kav/bin/kavscanner','kavscanner'],
    '-i1 -xp {}', [0,10,15], [5,20,21,25],
    qr/(?:CURED|INFECTED|CUREFAILED|WARNING|SUSPICION) (.*)/ ,
    sub {chdir('/opt/kav/bin') or die "Can't chdir to kav: $!"},
    sub {chdir($TEMPBASE) or die "Can't chdir back to $TEMPBASE $!"},
  ],

I think logs grow forever, so I personally set:
Append=no to most of them.

So, I don't know if it's worth putting in the new kavscanner entry
without also explaining how to get the new kavscanner working, and I'm
not sure what the best wording would be.

Can anyone else confirm my findings or see a better way to do this? If
anyone would like to experiment, you can request evaluation programs.
http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/trial-versions.php
You want the:
"Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Linux File Server (1) and Linux Mail Servers (25)"