Mark wrote:

> Aaron,

>> I have searched for this on the SA, postfix and amavisd-new lists and
>> the only thing that i came up with is that SA never sees the "rcpt to"
>> address.
>> Essentially all i want to happen is for amavisd-new or SA to add the
>> person our users are sending mail to the whitelist automatically.  I
>> don't think we really care if it's using the "to" header or the "rcpt to".

> With 'automatically' I don't know what you mean, but the rest is possible.

> The term 'whitelisting' in amavisd-new (as well as in SA) is intended
> for matching with sender address. What you are looking for is not
> whitelisting, but a way to permit mail to a recipient. Use one of:
> @virus_lovers_maps, @spam_lovers_maps, @banned_files_lovers_maps,
> or @bad_header_lovers_maps lookup tables.
> Often the *lovers* is combined with *bypass* (see
> http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#checks ),
> e.g.:

> @spam_lovers_maps = @bypass_spam_checks_maps = (
>   [ qw( [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) ],
> );

> Alterantive interpretation of your request is to allow mail originating
> from internal clients not to be spam checked. A reliable way to
> achieve this is to use a policy bank 'MYNETS', which may have
> different settings that global, for example it may have spam
> checking disabled:

> @mynetworks = qw(127.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.0/8 ...);  # list your networks here

> $policy_bank{'MYNETS'} = {  # mail originating from @mynetworks
>   bypass_spam_checks_maps   => [1],  # don't spam-check
>   bypass_banned_checks_maps => [1],  # don't banned-check
> };

> See amavisd.conf-sample and
> http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#pbanks

> Both approaches can be combined. For example you can place
> spam_lovers_maps list within a policy bank, so it will only apply
> to messages which activate a certain policy bank.

>   Mark

I understood him to mean that when a message is sent to an external
domain from inside a local domain, the recipient's name(s) would be
captured and placed into an amavisd-new whitelist. This could probably
be done by scripting a program to scan mail logs, collect the data,
and place it into a table, either static or dynamic. I have a feeling
however that once this was implemented, undesirable email addresses
would end up in the database. Once that started happening, the idea
would end up getting scrapped, but that is complete conjecture on my
part. If done correctly I could see the value of this (at least
conceptually).