Oops, correction to my previous post, the line of code was wrong.

Charles,

> my upstream smtp provider is already running an anti-spam solution and i
> therefore have messages coming in with a subject *** SPAM *** preceding
> the original subject, and the provider leaves me no solution to stop it.
>
> i'd like to re-write the subject, eliminating the "*** SPAM ****" before
> amavis has a look at it and before it trains bayes -- bayes (i think)
> would start to notice that spam mails have a subject that is easy to
> spot.
>
> i'm using postfix and would rather not have to try to develop a content
> filter (for performance reasons) before handing the message to amavisd.
>
> is it possible to put perl code into the amavisd.conf to do this?

Inserting the following:

  $hdr_edits->edit_header('Subject',
    sub { my($h,$s)[EMAIL PROTECTED]; $s=~s/^\s*\*\*\* SPAM \*\*\*(.*)/$1/s; $s
});

somewhere in sub add_forwarding_header_edits_common
should do the trick.

(a small caveat: haeder edits in versions up to 2.3.3 are not cumulative,
so if it is later decided that some local spam tag should be inserted
into subject line, the above edit request will be lost. This is
improved in 2.4.0 (soon), which supports cumulative edits)