Mark Martinec wrote:
I don't see any "time_num" column there. How can that work for you?

I am using a (slightly) patched version of amavisd-new.

The time_num on tables quarantine and msgrcpt was used in
some on the pre-releases of 2.4.0, but I decided not to include
it in the final 2.4.0 in favour of DELETE CASCADE, as on
my setup (still at MySQL then) there was no noticeable
advantage of deleting based on time_num (both were slow,
taking ten(s) of minutes to delete 100.000 records, even if
having time_num indexed). I tried with indexes kept during
deletions, as well as by removing unneeded indexes before
the purge and re-creating them after. I don't know why Cami
sees deletes in msgrcpt based on time_num to be significantly faster.
I'm assuming that Mark has benchmarked the difference in
speed between the time_num index approach vs the DELETE
CASCADE approach and found it to be quicker.
Mark, can you confirm what your findings were?

I didn't find it any slower, so I went for a cleaner approach.

More feedback/experience from heavy SQL users is most welcome.

Without indexes it was taking roughly 2->5 hours to do a purge.
With indexes it was taking 10->15 minutes at most. (20gig of
quarantined data at the time).

Perhaps someone else can do some testing and report their
findings.

Cami