Hi Mark!

Unfortunately, all Lucio's troubles are (partially) due to my fault...
I'm one of the members of the academic working group that wrote some
suggestions to its network users.

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> From: Mark Martinec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>A price for keeping congestions under control would be a
>>loss of ability to REJECT spam
> . . .
> Also we like the idea of
> rejecting spam. And our server is at the level of less than 1000 messages
> per day.

  Yes, all our problems come from the need to reject spam
  (we are currently rejecting 10000 messages per day!).

>>>QUESTION 0) is spamd necessary ?
>>
>>No.  The amavisd daemon behaves just like spamd and is used in its place.

Yes, we know, but we used amavis+spamd as a fast & dirty trick
to satisfy our needs. Now, I'll try to explain them:

We have 2 groups of users:

- One likes the spam rejecting.
- One likes spam tagging only, without reject.

The first "trick" was the use of spamd to tag the non rejected E-Mail.

Because of mail-server performance problems, we are now trying to
partially eliminate spamd, by using the Petr Rehor's amavisd-milter.
Unfortunately, I've had some timeouts problems, and I'm waiting
for an answer from Petr...

 From some tests performed at my site, the CPU saving with
Petr's milter is dramatic!

Could you give me a configuration (policy banks ?!?!) able to
merge the 2 above needs? (rejecting + tagging in amavisd.conf).
This way, we could completely eliminate spamd!

Many thanx in advance..
Ciao, Alberto