On Saturday June 3 2006 01:35, Márk Csaba wrote:
> well ... i try to upgrade, but i have some problem. :|
> I did an apt-get upgrade, and the amavis v2.3.3 has been installed and
> warns me, thet my config files is depreecated, so i MUST change or rename
> it. Okay ... i read the mentioned doc and found almost nothing about how to
> split my old amavisd.conf.
>
> I visited the page you gave me, andf download the amavisd-new-2.4.1.tar.gz.
>
> Read the INSTALL file and i'm about getting mad.
> The INSTALL says: "copy file amavisd.conf to wherever you want it to reside
> such as /etc" so ... for example /etc/amavisd.conf.
> I tried to RTFM but now i'm giving up.

The amavisd-new as it comes from my hands reads amavisd.conf from
directory /etc, and does not use any other external config or data file,
apart from Perl modules and external utility programs. One may
add calls to read_*() into amavisd.conf to load other data if needed.
INSTALL applies to the original distribution.

If the config file resides somewhere else than /etc/amavisd.conf, one
can use a command line option -c to specify where amavisd can find it.

If you are using some other packaged version which alters default
locations and splits config files into multiple files, you need to
consult their specific instructions. Debian is notorious for a
convoluted set of amavisd-new config files.

> that my config files is depreecated, so i MUST change or rename

amavisd-new as originally distributed can live with old config files,
it's just that new features may not be available, and some settings
may be more appropriate when taken from newer example config files.
Eventually it is worth switching to newer style of config files,
but you need not do it right away in a hurry.

See also recent topic:
  Upgrading from 20030616p10-5 to 2.4.x on Debian testing ?
on the mailing list (around June 1, 2006)