> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
> Of Pablo L. Arturi
> Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 7:57 PM
> To: Michael Scheidell; amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [AMaViS-user] what how ...
>

> <mx1> --- <mx2>
>    <Mail Server>

I guess I forgot about the mail server.

If you have a loadbalancing set with mysql on two systems, you have the
replication issue.

I would do:

<FE> (main mx record to the world) postfix/DNS/DCC,mysql, 'special' dns
entry for postfix/transport should round robbin SA1 and SA2
<SA1>  <SA2>
<Mail Server>

(remember, SA with lots of rules takes the most time, clamav will also)

> mx1 and 2 will have amavis/clamd/SA/postfix and will forward
> all incoming mail to <Mail Server> and having both mx dns
> records with the same priority should function as a loadbalancing ...

This is high end, should keep transit latencies down to 14 to 20 seconds
per email.
<FE> 3GHZ Dual core, mirroring, put /var/spool on separate spindles,
redundant power supplies, MX weight 10
Pretend it's a normal postfix server, depending on distro, 2/4GB ram,
(remember, its running your only copy of mysql, and will have your
quarantined files via NFS or SQL)
Keep an updated copy of your userlist on <FE> to block dictionary
attacks.  Use tarpit :-)
Maybe use postfix mime-header rules to block certain attachments MS
should never have allowed in email.
(.bat, cmd, scr, pif).  I would do a very heavy reliance on postfix to
block as much as you can.

<SA1 and SA2>
3GHZ dual core, I don't know if I would go for mirror and redundant ps,
since you have two of them.
Maybe 2/4GB reach.

<Mail server>
Don't know, what do you have now?

What is latencies?
The above should reduce the load by 90%.