Mark wrote:

> Mitja,

>> I have upgraded spamassassin to 3.1.3 (from 3.0) and it also starts
>> letting through a lot more spam...
>> Amavisd-new is amavisd-new-2.4.1-2.el4.rf on RHEL4.
>> Someone having same problem?

> See  'amavisd debug-sa'  checking for any problems reported by SA,
> and verify that paths to rules directory and config files are correct
> (i.e. the same as reported by: su vscan -c 'spamassassin -t -D <test.msg')

>   Mark

If after installing 3.1.3, you ran sa-update, as Mark mentioned in this thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amavis-user&m=115021769827128&w=2
with amavisd-new a good solution is to use the --updatedir option with
sa-update and point it to where your current rules are. Once you do
that, I believe it may be a good idea (or possibly even necessary) to
remove any subdirectories in /var/lib/spamassassin (if that directory
exists - they should contain downloaded rules). Then test with debug-sa
and verify all the rules are read from your default rules dir, and the
updates_spamassassin_org subdirectory in that same directory:

<...>
[6711] dbg: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_antivirus.cf
<...>
[6711] dbg: config: using
"/usr/share/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org/25_antivirus.cf" for included
file
[6711] dbg: config: read file
/usr/share/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org/25_antivirus.cf
<...>

To test 'config' only, I find it helpful to temporarily set:
$sa_debug = '1,config';
in amavisd.conf and run  'amavisd debug' instead of 'amavisd debug-sa'.
It limits the debug output.

This link lists other 'channels' like 'config':
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DebugChannels

Using sa-update in this manner appears to work for me. YMMV