cd /usr/local/etc

grep D_REJECT amavis*
amavisd.conf-sample:# D_REJECT   mail will not be delivered to its
recipients, sender should
amavisd.conf-sample:#   D_REJECT and D_BOUNCE are similar, the
difference is in who is responsible
amavisd.conf-sample:#   With D_REJECT, MTA may reject original SMTP, or
send DSN (delivery status
amavisd.conf-sample:# - use D_REJECT instead of D_BOUNCE if using
Courier or milter and under heavy

Only in sample.

cd /var/amavis/etc
grep D_REJECT amavis*

Not in my local edits.

I did mention that "it worked fine"(tm) with 2.3.3 ...

> If amavisd-new bounces it, the DSN will be from amavisd-new (although
> there should not be one in this case), if D_REJECT is used, your MTA
> will send the DSN. So, which one created it?

Since MTA is postfix, and postfix doesn't send out these (do they?)

 Jul  3 13:13:44 0 postfix/lmtp[36184]: 079595FF408:
> to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, r
> elay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1], delay=3, status=bounced (host
> 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] sa
> id: 554 5.7.1 Rejected, id=35247-07-3 - SPAM (in reply to end of DATA
> command))

And, one of the fixes for 2.4.2 was to use 554 and not 550, I suspect
its amavisd-new sending the bounce/reject.
One of my favorite one line sigs from http://www.secnap.com/misc/

Definition of an upgrade, take old bugs out put new bugs in.

Software gets real complex, and with so many configuratin variables,
there is always 'that one system' that has that one odd setting that
causes something unexplained.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
561-999-5000, ext 1131