I would think I would want to learn from a 3 day old message (long
weekend) even if spamcop thought it was too old.

Not sure why spamassassin -r won't learn from message in that case, but
your inital tests did show that.

Guess I would want to run sa-learn --spam if spamassassin -r returns an
error?
sa-learn --ham is spamasassin -k returns error?
Etc?