Werner,

> I have made a configuration mistake and amavis (amavisd-new-2.4.1 on
> Gentoo) stored about 10000 mails it identified as spam etc. in
> /var/amavis/quarantine (e.g. as spam-aUJwqQxcI+xl.gz). Now I corrected my
> amavis configuration to pass all spam etc. to the client to do the
> filtering but the question now is: How do I get these mails back into the
> Postfix queue so that they will be delivered to the original recipient?

You'll have to collect the quarantine IDs (e.g. spam-aUJwqQxcI+xl.gz,
exactly as reported in the log - or in SQL log if you have it.
A Perl or awk one-liner would do.

Then you can feed the list, one id per line, to amavisd-release.
It reads IDs from stdin when given a '-' as its only argument:

Usage:  $ amavisd-release mail_file [secret_id [alt_recip1 alt_recip2 ...]]
  or to read request lines from stdin:  $ amavisd-release -

The secret_id is optional if you have:
  $auth_required_release = 0;
in amavisd.conf.